15 October 2010

Isolation

I think that I'm discovering my disdain for headphones. As I ride along on this bus to Chicago, I've noticed the two distinct types of people. Those with headphones and those engaging others around them. It has become a sad state of affairs how caught up in our own world we are. Don't get me wrong, headphones do have a place in the world. For example, when you want to get work done or study or work out. Solo activities. Yet, in these social climates, out in public and whatnot, we barricade our ears and stop listening to the world around us. It kills half the fun of people watching. There are other ways to pass the time. Unfortunately, I'm being hypocritical - I'm writing to my phone instead of chatting my neighbor's ear off (Oh well, I justify, she has headphones in also!)

Maybe if we took some time to listen to what people were saying, there would be less problems in the world...but maybe not. I guess we can't really know. Until next time, I'm going to savor the eerie silence of this bus (mostly) full of distracted and self-centered people.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews