25 October 2010

Binary Tasks

Either complete a task or don't. There isn't much of a middle ground. I'll illustrate with an example. This morning, I see the bus coming down the road from my upstairs apartment window. I was probably 98% ready to leave, yet I felt the rush. I grabbed my bag, sprinted down the spiral staircase, grabbed my coat and ran out the door. Mind you, the bus had already been at the stop for several seconds. I knew my time was almost expired, that the bus would soon pull away and I'd be left to walk or bike into work. I'm already running a little behind, so it seems that making the bus would only be logical. I jump a few flights of stairs, dart across traffic and in front of the anxious bus. Fortunately, the driver stops to avoid hitting me, which I exploit as my moment to enter. He doesn't look happy, but I'd rather it be him than my boss.

The moral of my story is that if you want to get something done, find a way to make it happen. If you succeed, then your fastidiousness paid off. If you fail, learn from your mistakes so you don't fail again, at least not in the same way. Persevere and don't compromise when it comes to yourself. I like to think of it as he (or she) who has a mentality of not allowing "no" to be an answer may have a more difficult journey there, but will find a much more rewarding destination in the end. Either that or you'll end up alone and unhappy. I guess that is the risk, one must decide, if they're willing to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews