18 October 2010

Chess Romance

Is it disgenuine to analyze every critical move in the beginning of a new relationship? A question I've been pondering much lately as I observe my friends come into and out of relationships. It seems that the "honeymoon phase" of the relationship, where nothing goes wrong, is not necessarily exclusive to the newfound happiness of the relationship, but can also be tied to the idea that we are not being our fully and comfortable selves. Do I think that is bad? No. Do I think we can help it? Not really. I do find it rather endearing though when couples can so readily let go of the little things - the problems that drive the "big" arguments later in a relationship. It put a funny visual in my head of a game of chess. Two forces waging the war of love on another, check mate asserting the dominance of the relationship, all the while methodically planning several steps ahead. Eventually, the niceties of war are let go and we show our hands. Why does that degradation occur? Why is it that after we feel comfortable, we drop the facade and get upset about such simple things as walking in a house with shoes on, or using a word that was never a problem before? It is a complex issue that I won't pretend to have an answer to. I wonder if a more honest "honeymoon phase" would lead to more successful permanent relations? Maybe it is in each of our failed relationships that we force ourselves to a more honest and up-front lifestyle. Maybe not. There are arguments for both cases. Either way, having taken a personal distance from relationships in my own life has been more than healthy. I would certainly advocate it, though advocating personal beliefs won't get me anywhere. An individual who isn't ready to make that commitment (or lack thereof) isn't going to feel comfortable or happy in that new element. I guess it is a circular problem, and one that will span far longer than I'll be alive. Maybe someday I will provide the answers, immortalized by word for the kids of tomorrow to live by. Though highly unlikely, it is thoughts like that which provoke me to follow my love of writing, the most honest game of chess I vow to play in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews