02 November 2010

Yikes

It has been awhile since my last post. My apologies to you, my faithful readers. I write as a study break from some literature. The required kind. The kind that gives off the appearance of sucking, but will surely come up in conversation years from now and I'll be glad to have some witty comment to make.

Song for the moment: Kenmochi Hidefuri - Emperor

I write today to discuss escapism. A powerful utility in the arsenal of humankind, though with that powerful ability comes a sort of admittance of defeat. There is a difference between escapism and taking a step back, or sleeping on an idea before discussing it. Escapism is the instant in-and-out departure from some event one does not want to face. I see it as an ultimate sign of weakness in an individual (don't worry, I'm not targeting anybody specifically).

I've taken notice that substances tend to be the most frequented means of escapism. I am most certainly not the person to preach disapproval towards the use of a stimulant or depressant, yet I can safely say that the abuse of these goods in a way that only puts a band-aid on a bullet hole won't lead anywhere productive. There is a distinct difference between recreational use and having a problem in which one needs to use to get away.

For me personally, my means of escape is music. I'll put my reputation on the line to say that music can effectively cure any wounded emotion, as well as unite, diversify, broaden horizons and convey messages that simple words or actions cannot. It is one of the most powerful of means to solve problems available and should heavily be utilized. I can get high simply by listening to a powerful song. I can become intoxicated by a sweet melody or a cunning lyric. If you are going to abuse something, abuse music. Just don't abuse it with Lady Gaga or Nickelback.

Speaking of Lady Gaga, please let me rant very briefly. I will be the first to admit that Lady Gaga's songs are annoying as shit. Plain and simply put, it is bad music. Catchy in all the ways that make me want to smash my head against cement pilons. However, Lady Gaga is a necessary component of our world. She is iconic, in the way that the remembered celebrity greats of our parent's generation were. It really hit me when I was in Italy and people over there hummed her songs, not knowing a single lyric, yet madly in love with the music. While she may be an odd woman and unconventional at that, and er music may fall on daft ears, happily and mindlessly droning away though to her pop-soaked candycane lyrics, she is representative of our collective society. She is the stereotype of the 2000s celebrity woman. She is the Madonna replacement, and before long, there will come another, ready to step into her shoes (or whatever the hell she is wearing on her feet these days). I can certainly respect her ability to perform, her ability to win over mass numbers of people and the fact that she does what she wants and doesn't give a shit how it makes her look. She is the most appealing hermaphrodite I've ever seen. I tip my hat and drink to her for those reasons.

Time to get back to the books. Maybe I'll be back later...
TC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews