11 November 2010

Midwest Skies

After a quick nap during class today, I found myself walking across campus, taking in the scenery around me. It was a muted, beautiful silence. As though somebody had turned down the volume on the urbanesque noises. There were no car engines, loud conversations or even the sound of the gentle breeze. It was gorgeous outside, the sun dropping behind the facades of buildings designed to further my ability to communicate this scene to you.


The skies above were royal in the sort of way you'd expect a gospel to describe. A true kingdom looming over our mundane daily tasks. How many around me wouldn't think twice about what I weighed so heavily upon? I continued my walk, juggling my own phone calls and miscellany, all the while preoccupied with the majestic painting forged by the twilight sun.


I tried to contemplate how unfeasible it would be for man to create such a color. An impossible mixture of pinks, purples, blues, oranges and whites. Nature's Architect alone knew the secret formula that was silently melting me. I took dozens of photographs, though pictures never seem to replicate the power of the human eye. While a picture may be worth a thousand words (putting my posts word count through the roof!), the vivid memories of such moments cannot be assigned an adequate value.


I continued my walk until I came upon the scene posted above. It was beautiful as the creatures of the air above me gracefully proceeded. The remains of industry scared the portrait, as plane exhaust became saturated with the vivid colors. Birds overhead flew by the thousands, weaving in and out of one another in a chaotic, yet beautiful formation.  They seemed to move in slow motion as my eyes wandered, darting around just as much as the aviators heading in the opposite direction. The cool air felt refreshing against my skin. I cherished the end of the sunset, as the masterpiece gave way to night, like the artist erasing the canvas to start afresh the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews