24 December 2010

Considerations

From the new desk of Trey Campbell on his ultra-portable Acer Aspire One:

I've been considering long and hard what it means to leave something behind. I've by no means abandoned my trusty Macbook Pro, yet I find myself greatly intrigued with this new device. It isn't nearly as powerful, has a fair share of glitches and the keyboard is borderline too small for my fingers. At the same time, I've found myself working on it for hours to manage the resources properly, fix the glitches and learn to type in a new way, so I could post to you, my loyal readers. So what exactly leads an individual to leave something behind, something that works perfectly well? Are we really so shallow a society that we need the latest, shiniest update to look at? Maybe it is our attempt to keep up with the figurative Jones'. Regardless, our society is never content with the status quo. It is both our greatest strength and primeval weakness. It drives our innovative brains forward to developments unimaginable. This desire has cured disease, saved resources and forced our world into a global view. No longer are we limited to our local regions. The world is at our fingertips because of this trait. At the same time, we've produced a lot waste as we dispose of what isn't "good" enough anymore. Things that could be re-purposed instead sit on our shelves collecting dust. So, on the eve of a holiday focused on giving, consider what it means to be in possession of the latest and greatest. Of course, I'm not asking you to change your lifestyle; there are pros and cons to each outlook. Just keep it in mind, enjoy the holidays, find a way to relax (mine is blogging!), bundle up, get cozy with somebody and look for the best that life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews