23 January 2011

I am Worried

I am worried,
That the best is going to pass by
Like the aimless freeway traffic
Lane change, speed up, slow down
Exit 282. Time for a slowdown.
Stop and get some coffee, recharge
Think about the coffee, what it does
A chemical, a drug--approved by the FDA
Beans with caffeine, from South American fields
Picked by the penny, sold by the dollar.
Somebody, somewhere is getting very rich
Starbucks, bucks, bucks, tall, grande, venti
"I am but one small instrument."
In the scheme of the bigger machine
Necessary? Vestigial. Evolved. Outsourced.
I get back on the highway, multitasking
Ten and Tall...black, no sugar, no cream.
Craving the speed, the rapid increase
In flow, around me, part of me.
The speedometer wavers, or is it my eyes?
I am worried.

1 comment:

  1. i like the spatial/temporal switches here. it seems effortless how you begin and end on the same emotion.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews